classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sailing locations

Peter Taylor
Hello,
By chance, I am going to be on holiday with friends and family in Beaulieu in September 2021 and so I naturally thought 'that would be a lovely place to sail my Morbic'.
My accommodation doesn't have parking and so crucially nowhere to keep a boat. Is anyone who knows that area able to advise of somewhere that could provide secure boat parking and launching for a week? I was thinking of a local sailing club perhaps, or boatyard. And indeed, where are the best places to launch?
Many thanks, Peter.

Reply | Threaded
|

RE: Sailing locations

Portnastorm

Hi Peter.

The nearest place to Beaulieu would be the beautiful historic ship- building village of Bucklers Hard just down the river. I haven't sailed from there but I have it on good authority that there is a good slipway and car park at reasonable cost. One of the Beaulieu Estate employees will materialise by magic with a ticket machine in their hand on your arrival. It may be worth contacting the estate office. There is a boatyard and marina just up river from the slipway, Google maps will show you where.

Additionally The Royal Southampton Yacht Club (ooh sounds posh) have an outpost farther down stream which I know has a Dinghy Park and slipway so It might be worth contacting them. One of the local DCA members keeps his Smacks Boat there and often sails over to Newtown Creek.

Maybe a potential venue for a Morbic Meeting?

Good Luck and have fun.

Graham

Sent from my Xperia by Sony smartphone

---- Peter Taylor [via MyMorbic Sail-&-Oar Dinghy UK Network] wrote ----

Hello,
By chance, I am going to be on holiday with friends and family in Beaulieu in September 2021 and so I naturally thought 'that would be a lovely place to sail my Morbic'.
My accommodation doesn't have parking and so crucially nowhere to keep a boat. Is anyone who knows that area able to advise of somewhere that could provide secure boat parking and launching for a week? I was thinking of a local sailing club perhaps, or boatyard. And indeed, where are the best places to launch?
Many thanks, Peter.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
https://forum.mymorbic.uk/Sailing-locations-tp157.html
To start a new topic under MyMorbic Sail-&-Oar Dinghy UK Network, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from MyMorbic Sail-&-Oar Dinghy UK Network, click here.
NAML
Graham Neil https://port-na-storm.blogspot.com/
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sailing locations

PaulW
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Peter Taylor
The marina upstream of Bucklers Hard - I've used their slipway and parking a few times in the past.
Bucklers Hard - I've only used it to go ashore for lunch.   I can't remember why we didn't launch there.
The Royal Southampton Yacht Club, nearer the Solent, was used once as a night stop for a raid. Pretty good catering IIRC.
Only a little further afield - I've launched at Lymington, and at Calshot.  Both pretty good.
Graham probably has more recent experience of all the above.
Have a look at the "External Links" section of our website.  Scroll down to "Expedition Planning".  A couple of leads there could help.
Let us know how you get on.  Updates could be useful for Morbic Meets!
ATB PW
Reply | Threaded
|

John S
In reply to this post by Portnastorm
Bucklers Hard is a lovely place to visit for the nautically minded. I've never sailed the Beaulieu River, so it would be a great place for a Morbic Massive if that could be arranged launching wise?
Reply | Threaded
|

PaulW
Administrator
Beaulieu River is now marked on our temporary "GargleMap" as a potential location.
The map also shows approx locations of Morbic owners.
Find the map from our website, Events.

Local knowledge (Graham) might supply up-to-date details - Meanwhile AFAIK
The slipway appears to be at the marina, close to Bucklers Hard.  Morbics would pay £10 per launch inc parking.
There might also be one at the Royal Southern.  They also offer dining at fair rates.
Montague  Arms (upriver), and Master Builder (at Bucklers Hard) both offer (non-budget) dining.
One might picnic on IoW eg at Newtown Creek or Gurnard Bay.
Reply | Threaded
|

Portnastorm
As ever Mr Google knows the answer.
Everything on the Beaulieau River is owned and managed by the Beaulieau Estate.
There is a slipway just behind the Master Builder's House Hotel which is separate from the marina and has its own car park. Launch fees are here.

https://www.beaulieuriver.co.uk/visiting/slipways-launch-fees/

As I said previously I haven't launched here myself but I hear good reports from other DCA members.

Regards Graham.  
Graham Neil https://port-na-storm.blogspot.com/
Reply | Threaded
|

PaulW
Administrator
Thanks Graham - can you confirm whether my notes below, and the pic, fit your knowledge of it?
Following your link opens a page headed "Bucklers Hard Yacht Harbour" and shows the launch fee (£10 in our case).
Further down, you find a link "How to get here", and that gives a link "Get Directions by road".
Here's a screenprint showing the end of Gargle's blue route line, and notations I've added.
The slipway offered is the one I've arrowed, in which case (IIRC) it is one I've used for a 27ft boat without problems.
Website says; "... the slipway dries out at low water and should not be used 2 hours either side of low water, as it drops off steeply".  Perhaps our lightweight Morbics could cope at lower tide.

Aha! Here's a link to the Marina Map showing the slipway - And "Tea Rooms"!
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Taylor
Many thanks to everyone who has helped me with contributions to this topic. I shall be launching from The marina and will let you all know how it goes in September.
Best Regards. Peter. PS I’m just starting painting so with any luck I will be ready for the water by September!!