classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Next phase

Jon Dykes
IMG_20210226_104534581.jpgmo

Ready to turn over to paint the outside of the hull. Then a nother 4-6 coats of varnish.
On track for Easter!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Next phase

John S
very tidy ideed! What timber did you use for the floorboards? I need to make some for my motor launch (another long story)
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon Dykes
It's Siberian larch. Easy to work and durable, they're not particularly light but keep your feet dry and they are removable!
Reply | Threaded
|

PaulW
Administrator
In reply to this post by Jon Dykes
Looks great.
When will we see it on the water?
(That reminds me - We need to plan a gathering)
Reply | Threaded
|

John S
Sorry, I had a flashback to an old Monty Python sketch.

Siberian larch. Where from?
Reply | Threaded
|

Paulbrooks
Hi, I really like the side seats you’ve made. Are these held up with 2 or 3 knees glued to the side of the hull? Regards Paul
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon Dykes
The larch came from John Moody Timber in Devon along with the Douglas fir for the spars. Not cheap but good quality.

For the side benches forward of the thwart I glued a piece of timber to the front of the bouyancy tank and made a knee to pick up the for'd end glued to the hull.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon Dykes

Trailer arrived this week, so the right way up again and first fitting of the mast
Reply | Threaded
|

Marc Lien
Hi Jon,

Amazing work. She is looking fabulous - congratulations!

What trailer did you go for as I’ll need to get one as well. Any pros/cons of the one you went for now your Morbic 12 is on it?

Thanks,
Marc
Reply | Threaded
|

PaulW
Administrator
Hi Marc.
In addition to the trailer notes you started at https://forum.mymorbic.uk/Sails-trailer-and-cover-td25.html
There are some more at https://forum.mymorbic.uk/Trailer-td61.html
And a whole load on the UKHBBR forum http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/.  They have a section called "Trailer corner".
In the unlikely event you don't find it, let me know.
ATB
PW
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon Dykes
Thanks Marc, I got the trailer from Admiral Trailers who are  on the Somerset/Devon border. I've known Tony who runs it for years, they've made about half a dozen Morbic 12 trailers now and have the necessary templates etc.
I think it is worth having 10'' wheels as they ride so much better, it also comes with the lighting board and  extra bits like a dolly wheel for the launcher. They always use Alko axles which give a smoother ride as opposed to indespension units.

The boats back in the garage now for final varnishing and fitting out, hopefully the sails will be ready soon!⛵🥂
Reply | Threaded
|

PaulW
Administrator
>Marc
Supporting all of Jon D's comments.
I'm 97% pleased with our Admiral trailer.  If I needed another trailer I'd buy from them, but see my notes about some design/assembly tweaks to ask for.  Notes & pics at https://forum.mymorbic.uk/Trailer-td61.html .
We elected for "Combination" ie Trailer + Launching-Trolly.  More expensive than a plain trailer, but the lightness of the launching trolly is a great asset at many venues, and it means road wheels and bearings do not go near salt water.

Aside - You'll find a pretty decent cafe on the airfield accross the main road.  :-)>
PW
Reply | Threaded
|

John S
Looks really nice Jon. She'll be the belle of the ball!