8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mainsheet setup

Marc Lien
Hi all,

Am starting to ponder rigging.

I’ve gone the balanced lug route, and will be sailing mostly single handed. Gentle sailing, sometimes with kids, not racing. I’m ok to go with modern equipment (warps, fiddle blocks etc)

For the mainsheet, I’ve spotted four approaches I think in other posts:
A sheet at end of boom, transverse rope traveller over tiller, helmsman holding sheet behind him/her
B same as A but sheet led forward along boom via a couple of blocks to centreboard case and helm sheeting from ahead
C sheet from centreboard case up to two separate mid-boom attached blocks - per diagrams in Vivier plans
D sheet from centreboard case via modern Harken or similar 4:1 compound fiddle tackle. (Although small boat in the description is still 2x length of a Morbic) https://www.harken.com/en/support/selection-tools/system-diagrams/mainsheet-systems/

Have I got this right? What would you recommend given my setup? Do you have any specific product recommendations - I need to buy as have nothing on hand.

Thank you.

Marc

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Mainsheet setup

PaulW
Administrator
Great question Marc - I'll be very interested to hear other's opinions.

You'd probably say ours is type (D), but it is just 3:1.
The mainsheet on Proteus runs from a becket/block slung mid-way-ish along the boom down to a double block near the aft end of the CB case, back up to the first-mentioned block, back down to the 2nd which includes a jamming cleat.
Pic shows how it was at 1st launch (captured at about 1min 40 in >this video)<  Now a little tidier!

We believe Swefn also has 3:1 but with more traditional-style blocks. - See the MyClassicBoat video.

Our boom sometimes rises up when running with the wind dead aft.  I suspect this would be even more likely to occur if some or all of the sheeting effort is transferred aft.  (I'm assuming the mid-mounted mainsheet gives a degree of kicking-strap effect, and that moving the effort aft would reduce this.)

Expert and more experienced Morbic opinions welcomed.

Reply | Threaded
|

Portnastorm
Some further thoughts on rigging the Mainsheet.

I have so far avoided going for a centre main, there are two reasons for that.
I have never mastered the technique of tacking when I have one hand on the tiller and the other on the sheet. It always ends up like a drunken Englishman trying to dance  the Gay Gordons.
Whichever way I try the sheet tries to strangle me. On my Coot I just used to let go the tiller and let the boat take care of its-self while I got comfy, but she was a very well behaved little boat.
The other reason is I'm thinking of having a tent with hooped poles beneath the boom and sail bundle. So  all the centre mainsheet gubbins will get in the way.

My current set up, using parts my old sailing club were about to throw in a skip  looks a bit like this.

The thimble spliced into the rope horse at bottom left has gone. I have been told by my betters that the main needs to be sheeted down to the quarters not the centreline, so the swivel can now slide along the horse.
I reckon this is a 3-1 tackle which seems fine so far.  
This same arrangement could be used for a centre sheet just by sliding the whole thing forward, fixing the swivel to an eye on the CB case.

It also occurs to me that by turning the rig upside down in the aft position you can run the sheet along the boom then through another single block down to your hand.
This system worked well on the Coot.
A ratchet block would help take the weight off on long tacks as would running the sheet round a convenient cleat, but Never cleating it off fully!
So at least three options using pretty much the same blocks.  
I am open to persuasion on what works best but maybe its just personal taste.

Planning an afternoon out in Chichester Harbour tomorrow.

Cheers Graham.

Graham Neil https://port-na-storm.blogspot.com/
Reply | Threaded
|

John S
This is the bottom end of mine. On the boom, there are a couple of ball-bearing blocks about 6 inches apart, on Dyneema strops, to avoid holes in the boom.
I had a Harken ratchet block knocking around, and that works very well. In light airs, you can switch off the ratchet, but when it blows, it's very comfortable even without a cleat anywhere. Not for the traditionalists though!

Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Taylor
In reply to this post by Portnastorm
Hi Graham, good to meet you at Cobnor DCA fortnight.
I too am looking to have a main sheet set up similar to yours , but what I am lacking is a nice neat tufnol block with fiddle and swivel, like yours above.
So, calling all Forum members, does anyone have or know of anyone who may be willing to sell a used tufnol fiddle block with swivel (with or without a becket) to fit an 8mm main sheet?
Thanks, Peter.
Reply | Threaded
|

Portnastorm
Hi Peter et all.
I'm just coming to the end of two of weeks sailing with the DCA at Cobnor.
The weather has generally been good although the North Easterlies F4-F5 have kept us on our toes with wind against really big tides most days.
I have moved to a centre main with a ratchet and jammer.
I'm very pleased with it.

Excuse the sand and general mess gathered from the beach at East Head, and the sideways photo.
Good to bump into Jon on the hard today, hopefully see you all in October.
Graham.
Graham Neil https://port-na-storm.blogspot.com/
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Taylor
Hi Graham, glad you have continued to enjoy your sailing at Cobnor. Good to hear your experience with centre main has been positive. I have been searching for a similar used fiddle block in tufnol this last week to do just the same with mine. See you and others in October.
Peter
Reply | Threaded
|

PaulW
Administrator
In reply to this post by Portnastorm
Here's a closer shot of the mainsheet and tackle on Proteus.  Very similar to yours, Graham.  Good to know you like it.
Proteus' Mainsheet & tackle