classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Lacing Sail to Spar and Boom

PaulW
Administrator
Could members please tell us what sort of lacing they use, or intend to use, on Morbics to attach mainsail to spar (yard) and boom?
(Maybe include experience/knowledge of other boat designs)
What is the reasoning behind their preference?
What have they tried which was less satisfactory?
Also - Have they found a boom outhaul beneficial?  And why?
Below are two images for reference, and below them, some of my own views.

IMHO -
A - Inhibits endways movement.  OK for yard.
B - Never tried it, but probably like (A) but more so.  Might be good on the yard?
C - Allows some endwise movement. Tends to induce slight corrugations in the sail, which might spoil smooth airflow if used on boom.
D - Never tried it, but probably like (C) but enable better endwise movement.
F – Also in the lower image - (i) Definitely inhibits endwise movement.  (ii) Each hitch involves two sharp turns of line which will chafe. (iii) is bulkier.  (iv) uses more line than any of the others.  (Do you suppose I'm not keen on it?)
BTW - I'm interested because I'd like to try using an outhaul (i) to allow adjustment of draft, (ii)to enable easier reefing (as per Swefn).  Maybe dispense with boom lacing altogether?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Lacing Sail to Spar and Boom

Jon Dykes
Hi Paul, that's interesting to read. I've used the marlin hitch (F) on the yard, mainly because it never occurred to me that there was an alternative! Some of the variations look interesting and maybe better especially around the leather on the yard. I think the marlin hitch is easier to maintain consistent tension along the yard.
After discussing it with the sailmaker I have a loose footed mainsail on the basis that it is easier to control the sail shape in the bottom section of the sail and should be more efficient.

Incedentally, after our first sail yesterday I found a few  glitches. The jib sheets catch on the forward end of the boom, do others  have this issue? The boom wants to 'rotate', this is caused by the downhaul attachment, maybe I need to adjust the way it is tied to the boom. The bleater works really well.

For a simple rig there seems to be a lot of string at the mast, with main and jib halyards plus a small flag halyard and I haven't yet rigged the lazyjacks which will involve a lot more string!

Just a few things to tweak, but overall I'm really pleased with the set up and she sails beautifully.
Reply | Threaded
|

John S
In reply to this post by PaulW
I'm using method A, as I'm a simple soul - I did try F but it struck me as a waste of string. I bought a minireel of  3mm Vectran which did the job, and I lashed each end of the luff/foot to holes drilled through the boom/gaff - no adjustment necessary once you get it right.
Having seen Swefn, I may need to think about how the reefing will work, as the tack/clew will need to be tensioned to make the reef look neat.

Don't bother with a burgee halyard - just get one of those burgee clips at the top of the mast, and clip it in before putting the mast up. My wimple (actually it's a Dannebrogwimpel) is attached to the gaff end with an inglefield clip
Reply | Threaded
|

PaulW
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Jon Dykes
> Jon D.  You may find something useful in "Which Rig", especially the links to another forum in the item I posted on Mar 25, 2021; 2:29pm.

Loose-footed - I aim to try it.  Being able to adjust the draft has to be a good thing.

Do you have an outhaul?  Can you provide details?

Jib sheets catching the boom - Yes - on every tack.  I'd love to know solutions.  Meanwhile I'm trying to keep the jib low (to avoid it fouling the spar) and passing the jib sheets over the boom with just enough tension to keep them in place.  Another method (not tried) could be to attach the tack (forward bottom corner) of the mainsail as near the tip of the boom as possible, ie reducing the sticking-out-bit to a minimum.

Lazy jacks - Let us know how you get on.  I'm keen to have them.

Bleater - Yes!
Rotation of the boom - Yes.  I'm aiming to fit a "cow hitch" loop at the required location.

Bits of string at the mast - Sloop version - IMHO, fit the two halyards on opposite sides of the mast to reduce congestion.
John's suggestion to dispense with the burgee halyard sounds sound.