contact with the stem? If I bend it any further it will surely
snap!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fitting the garboard

Portnastorm
Hi Mark,

Just a quick response as I'm preparing to row down the Upper Thames in my Morbic, starting tomorrow. 

I presume you mean the first plank after the bottom one. Unfortunately for us armatures, this plank has the most twist but comes early in the build, all the rest get progressivly easier. 

Drape some old towels over the plank and soak them with boiling water. This softens the fibres and also the glue. Apply firm and progressive pressure using ratchet straps, Spanish Windlass, rope etc. to pull the plank round. Do this in several stages possibly over a couple of days. The wood will build up a "memory" and it will gradually get easier. 

Go slow, you will get there. 

Courage!

Graham  

Graham Neil https://port-na-storm.blogspot.com/
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Taylor
In reply to this post by Mark Smithwick
Hi Mark,
I remember this stage well on my build and its a challenge that it comes so early on in the build when you are building your confidence as well as a boat! But Graham is right, go slow and it will bend. Also, when finally screwed to the keel, those sticky-up edges of the plank will finally go home, so don't start trimming or sanding these down until all is glued and screwed (I did and had to use more resin filler than I would have liked...) Good luck.
Peter
Reply | Threaded
|

PaulW
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Hi Mark.
Graham ("P-N-S") gets our agreement on two aspects:-
1) It is ironic that the toughest strake (physically), the garboard, is the first one you have to do; subsequent strakes are easier partly because of their nature, and partly because you've gained experience and confidence.
2) Don't rush.

HOWEVER ....
Robin and I, building "Proteus", did not use  any water, just several buckets of grunt, aided by clamps, and IIRC there may have been some screws and home-made "penny-washers" of scrap plywood.

See if the "Proteus" build pics are any help.  Accessible through the "Known UK Morbics" section of the website, then pics 11 & 17, 18 and 19 perhaps?

Whatever, go slowly and all will be OK.
Paul W
Reply | Threaded
|

Mark Smithwick
In reply to this post by Mark Smithwick
Thank you everyone. I have left things well alone for a few days
with clamps bending the garboard as far as I dare push my luck.
I like the sound of the hot towels trick (so long as I don't delaminate
the plywood!)
Cheers,
Mark.
Reply | Threaded
|

Mark Smithwick
Pleased and relieved to report that I managed to bend the
plank sufficiently using the towel and boiling water trick.
Just hope I have the same luck with the garboard on the
other side. Thank you all for the support. Mark.