Painting and colour choice

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Painting and colour choice

Peter Taylor
Hello! When we had the beast from the east, it was too cold to work in the garage so my mind turned to what colour I might paint my Morbic - launch date will I hope be end April 2021 so painting looms large on my to do list. In more normal times I would have been able to look at some boats in the flesh and see what works best, but can't do that just now and internet images don't always tell the whole story, so I wondered whether members thought  dark or light shades work better?

I'm currently thinking of Epifanes 216 for the hull - a light grey/blue, or possibly 206 a darker grey/blue.

All the best, Peter.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Painting and colour choice

Portnastorm
Choice of colour scheme is very much down to individual taste. My two previous builds have both had a varnished top strake and various amounts of varnish on the thwarts etc.
On the Oughtred boat I used Le Tonkinoise varnish which is lovely to use and doesn't need to be sanded between coats. The hull was painted in Blakes Biscay Grey with a  Pearl White interior. Both colours now defunct along with Blakes, now Hemple.

For the Coot I decided to make it a bit simpler and originally only had one colour, Pearl White again and this time I used B&Q decking oil for the spars and thwarts etc. This worked really well on the Douglas Fir spars but not so well on the Sweet Chestnut Thwarts.  

For the Morbic this time I have reduced the amount of Oil/Varnish even further and done away with the contrasting top strake in an attempt to reduce maintenance.
I'm using Deks Olje for the Brightwork, D2 in the boat and D1 for the spars.
The Hull Colour is Pidgeon Blue with a grey interior.

The Grey is to avoid glare and hide the dirty marks which will inevitably happen.

The paint I'm using is Jotun Easy Gloss which was supplied by Marine & Industrial
https://www.marineindustrial.co.uk/Catalogue/Paints-Coatings/JOTUN/Yachting-Retail/Top-Coats/JOTUN-EasyGloss

They can mix this to match any colour provided you can supply the RGB code.

Having so much choice can be a problem when it comes to choosing, and I prevaricated for weeks playing around with various options on Photoshop.
This is actually a Morbic 10 but it gives an idea.

And finally; the clinker plank edges cast a downward shadow which will show off any lumps and bumps against a light colour. So if you need to hide anything, go dark.  

Graham Neil https://port-na-storm.blogspot.com/
Reply | Threaded
|

PaulW
Administrator
Great feedback Graham.  Clearly expressed and useful points any of us could bear in mind "next time" or next re-paint.  Nice pics.
Hopefully it won't be TOOO long before we can sail in company.
ATB
Paul W
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Taylor
In reply to this post by Portnastorm
Hi Graham, thanks for such a comprehensive account of your painting experience - it’s been very helpful for me and I’m sure will be so to others. Something like the colour of your Oughtred boat and with an oiled top strake is what I was looking to achieve for my Morbic 12. All the Best. Peter.

On 22 Feb 2021, at 18:14, Portnastorm [via MyMorbic Sail-&-Oar Dinghy UK Network] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Choice of colour scheme is very much down to individual taste. My two previous builds have both had a varnished top strake and various amounts of varnish on the thwarts etc.
On the Oughtred boat I used Le Tonkinoise varnish which is lovely to use and doesn't need to be sanded between coats. The hull was painted in Blakes Biscay Grey with a  Pearl White interior. Both colours now defunct along with Blakes, now Hemple.

For the Coot I decided to make it a bit simpler and originally only had one colour, Pearl White again and this time I used B&Q decking oil for the spars and thwarts etc. This worked really well on the Douglas Fir spars but not so well on the Sweet Chestnut Thwarts.  

For the Morbic this time I have reduced the amount of Oil/Varnish even further and done away with the contrasting top strake in an attempt to reduce maintenance.
I'm using Deks Olje for the Brightwork, D2 in the boat and D1 for the spars.
The Hull Colour is Pidgeon Blue with a grey interior.

The Grey is to avoid glare and hide the dirty marks which will inevitably happen.

The paint I'm using is Jotun Easy Gloss which was supplied by Marine & Industrial
https://www.marineindustrial.co.uk/Catalogue/Paints-Coatings/JOTUN/Yachting-Retail/Top-Coats/JOTUN-EasyGloss

They can mix this to match any colour provided you can supply the RGB code.

Having so much choice can be a problem when it comes to choosing, and I prevaricated for weeks playing around with various options on Photoshop.
This is actually a Morbic 10 but it gives an idea.

And finally; the clinker plank edges cast a downward shadow which will show off any lumps and bumps against a light colour. So if you need to hide anything, go dark.  

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
https://forum.mymorbic.uk/Painting-and-colour-choice-tp82p83.html
To unsubscribe from Painting and colour choice, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

PaulW
Administrator
This post was updated on .
FWIW (as a relatively new returner to hands-on boat work):-
All our brightwork has Deks Olje D1 & D2 applied as per their spec.
Hull - External:-
Top strake is British Racing Green (aka Dublin Bay), basic domestic quality Dulux.
All other strakes are Epifanes - light grey, except sole which is white, as is skeg.
Internal:-
Mainly white "Mist grey" (it's white but faintly grey).  Lower strakes & sole are pale grey.
For grip, we sprinkled dry sand onto specific patches while wet, then re-painted when dry.  Non-sand-treated zones were left where water and dirt might loiter.
Insides of buoyancy/lockers are Hempells white.

Here's one pic.  And another.   A third
PS - And the Paint Scheme.  More may be found on the website via the "Proteus" link in the table of "Known UK Morbics".
ATB
Paul W
Reply | Threaded
|

John S
As Graham says, it's down to personal taste, but I would make a couple of points. Doing a contrasting colour below the waterline helps to make the boat look a little less 'tubby', and as regards the interior, don't go for brilliant white - it's really tiring on the eyes. I used an Epifanes light grey, and if you use a contrasting colour above the seat risers, again it 'lengthens the boat. All optical illusions, but they seem to work.

Having been an International 2 pot junkie all my dinghy career, I've been really impressed with the Epifanes products, and will recommend them to anyone
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Taylor
Thanks John - the interior optical illusion is good to know.

On 4 Mar 2021, at 14:56, John S [via MyMorbic Sail-&-Oar Dinghy UK Network] <[hidden email]> wrote:

As Graham says, it's down to personal taste, but I would make a couple of points. Doing a contrasting colour below the waterline helps to make the boat look a little less 'tubby', and as regards the interior, don't go for brilliant white - it's really tiring on the eyes. I used an Epifanes light grey, and if you use a contrasting colour above the seat risers, again it 'lengthens the boat. All optical illusions, but they seem to work.

Having been an International 2 pot junkie all my dinghy career, I've been really impressed with the Epifanes products, and will recommend them to anyone

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
https://forum.mymorbic.uk/Painting-and-colour-choice-tp82p97.html
To unsubscribe from Painting and colour choice, click here.
NAML