classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Motor mount

Marc Lien
Hello, me again!

So I’ve got myself a little electric trolling motor, largely for emergency/auxiliary power in case my rowing fails me or to get out of a fix when out with the kids exploring.

New to this business, I’d appreciate any advice regarding mounting the motor on the transom.

I was planning on placing off centre on starboard side so I could sail with motor raised and could drop quickly. My centre sheet setup is from centreboard case rather than rear traveller arrangement so no snagging challenges.

The motor mount comes with quick adjust ‘screws’ to secure the motor to the transom. The issue is that the Morbic transom is too thin for these screws. Am I ok just to use a 18mm pad of plywood on the inside of the transom and then tighten the screws against this? Or do I need to bolt this pad through the transom which I’d really rather avoid? The motor is not very powerful - i guess <1HP - so not sure how important bolting the pad really is?

Thanks for your thoughts and any other ideas

Best,
Marc

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Motor mount

Peter Taylor
Hi Marc,
Many years ago my Dad made a pad for a 2hp two stroke motor on our Mirror dinghy. We travelled many miles up the Cleddau in Wales like this with out a hitch.
There was a 9mm ply pad inside the transom the same on the outside and a thin strip on the top. All glued to a piece of neoprene and held in place on the transom by the outboard clamp - no screws required. If you would like I can send you a sketch.
Happy trolling.
Peter
Reply | Threaded
|

Marc Lien
Hi Peter,
That sounds v interesting. I think I understand but would love to see a sketch. Thank you
Marc
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon Dykes

A couple of pics of my motor mount. The bracket is 9mm on the outside and 6mm inside. The outboard clamps hold it all in place. It's really there to prevent clamp marks on the transom. It works well and means I can sail with the motor raised and ready to go if needed.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Taylor
In reply to this post by Marc Lien
Here is a sketch
Reply | Threaded
|

Marc Lien
Thanks Peter and Jon. Super helpful.
Peter - very impressed with your 3d drawing skills in addition to boatbuilding :)
Best,
Marc