classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Metal bits for Morbics

magaliatres
Hi everyone,
In the process of gathering all materials, tools and pieces required fot the build I’m having a difficult time buying the “metal” parts: rudder fittings, mast traveller, rowlocks and keelband. Classic Marine seems a good source for that, but Vivier specifies series 1 pintles and series 2 gudgeons, is that correct? Shouldn’t be one pintle longer than the other? CM is the only supplier I have found that offers bronze keelband, but sadly they don’t ship keel bands. Brexit regulations make me suspect of unexpected difficulties, taxes, etc.

I have also checked A’l Abordage web page and TOPLITCH.de which both have similar products but the rudder fittings look smaller, not what FV specifies in his project.

For those of you who have already gone through the process: could you please tell me what did you bought, and where? Are you satisfied about it, or would you make it differently if you were going to do it again? Of course you are in the UK, and CM is also there which makes it much easier, but if you don’t mind I would like to know your thinking about this.

Thanks for your advice.

Best  regards,
Carlos Herrán
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Metal bits for Morbics

PaulW
Administrator
Hi Carlos.
Much may depend on whether you want to go down the "Bronze and wood only" route, or are willing to compromise on tradition to accept the more cost-effective (and lighter?) stainless steel and plastic options.
The co-builder/co-owner of "Proteus is away for a few days.  Between us we could compile a list of our sources, when he returns.  Certainly I recall shopping around for several items.  Some came from metal stockists - Bronze strip definitely, and maybe also the brass keel band.  WIll have to get back to you on this.
Meanwhile - It would be surprising if several of the "serial boat builders" on the forum did not come up with some info.
ATB
Paul W
Reply | Threaded
|

Portnastorm
In reply to this post by magaliatres
Hi Carlos.
I think I come into the category of "Serial Builder" so I'll do what I can to help you out here.  

Paul is correct in that it is a good idea to decide what type of finish you want the boat to have.  
Yacht finish with lots of shiny bronze and varnish or Work Boat finish with galvanised rowlocks etc and just a little oil here and there.  Please remember that Francois' shopping list is a starting point, giving you an idea of sizes required etc. but it isn't set in stone.

Keel Band, you should be able to get half-round Brass from a metal suppler, if not consider aluminium or stainless. Flat strip will do but isn't quite so attractive as half-round.

Rowlocks, Francois suggests using Thole Pins but this really means you have to make your own oars.  went bronze you could go Brass or galvanised   try Toplicht.

Traveller. A friend made mine for me,  not strictly necessary  see Micheal Storer  

Micheal Storer

Rudder Fittings.
I bought the bronze pintles and gudgeons from Classic Marine.  
I bought similar ones  when I built my Iain Oughtred Whilly Tern but took the cheaper route of buying seasure for my Wolstenholme Coot and always thought the boat deserved better so I went back to Bronze for the Morbic.
The gudgeons specfied have the holes vertically aligned and should be bolted through to the inside of the rudder stock which is a bit awkward. Strap type gudgeons would be stronger but you have to be careful that the rudder blade will still swivel. Everything is a compromise.

I've just done some window shopping and notice that the Toplicht offerings
Toplicht
 are " Salt Water Resistant Brass" rather than the Bronze used by Classic Marine,
Classic Marine
 I have no idea how resistant to salt water it is others might have a view on this.

The difference in price might help you decide; A full set from Toplicht would cost E73.20 where Classic Marine would charge you £208.98 Then of course there would be Import Tax on top of that, just another one of those Brexit Bonuses people.  

Hope this helps more than it confuses.
Have Fun with your build.
Graham.

Graham Neil https://port-na-storm.blogspot.com/
Reply | Threaded
|

magaliatres
Hi there,
Thank you both for your messages with your opinions about this question. The concept of the boat style as a working boat or a small yachtie is a very interesting one. In my case the idea is clear: is not one nor the other, I like the idea of a traditional styled sports boat. That means performance: nice sail, spars, main sheet pulleys and rope, tack line purchase, all that is a must for me and to arrange that “sail machine” is one of the funniest parts of sailing. I’m good at that, but the oars, the keel band and all the construction related questions are new to me.
The maintenance part is also important, and my understanding is that bronze fitting marries both the tradition, the maintenance aspects and the aesthetics as well.
Regards,
Carlos H