classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Eye bolt

Marc Lien
Hi all,

Do you have any trouble launching or recovering your Morbic 12 singlehanded?

I’m looking at a combi-trailer, but wondering whether it would be helpful to install an eye-bolt in the false-stem near the waterline to ease getting the boat on and off. Or alternatively, like with the Ilur, a transversal hole through the false stem for a strap.

But... given not in the plans, maybe not required?

Here is a picture that was shared with me that illustrates the eye-bolt. Perhaps requiring a plywood doubler or something to spread the load as well...

Thanks,
Marc
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Eye bolt

PaulW
Administrator
This post was updated on .
An eye-bolt in the stem was included in early versions of the Sloop rig plans, to secure the bobstay for the bowsprit.  It presumably passes right through the stem into the forward compartment.
The eyebolt is listed in the Fittings List of Morbic 12 Building Manual – Appendix 4 rev 5 - Page 2/3.
You can see it in some pictures. (eg one from the website https://mymorbic.uk/Pics/RP%20DSCF4697.JPG )

As for whether I've found it necessary when operating solo:-
Launching = No
Recovery - Getting Proteus onto the launching trolley has generally been straightforward.  Keeping it aligned in place while still floating - I've tended to flick a line over the bow and down to the trolley handle.
BTW - We've got guide-rails but never used them.  Some people do like them.  Maybe handy in a side-wind/current?
Dragging the trolley + boat up some steeper slipways has been a challenge, but only because of the weight, not the boat's security. (Assuming the above-mentioned line is secure)

Maybe I'll add an eye only for security while towing on-road.   It would also eliminate rope-chafe on the gunwale alongside the stem.

We know a larger boat with a transverse hole in the stem, below the waterline!
PW

ADDENDUM October 2022
See later note below.  Feb 15, 2022;
Reply | Threaded
|

Portnastorm

I have an eyebolt fitted through the stem just where it is shown on the plans for the bobstay. I've had one on my previous boats, it's very useful for attaching the boat to the trolley when recovering. It also helps that it is below the level of the cover when towing.

Graham

Sent from my Xperia by Sony smartphone

---- PaulW [via MyMorbic Sail-&-Oar Dinghy UK Network] wrote ----

An eye-bolt in the stem was included in early versions of the Sloop rig plans, to secure the bobstay for the bowsprit.  It presumably passes right through the stem into the forward compartment.
The eyebolt is listed in the Fittings List of Morbic 12 Building Manual – Appendix 4 rev 5 - Page 2/3.
You can see it in some pictures. (eg one from the website https://mymorbic.uk/Pics/RP%20DSCF4697.JPG )

As for whether I've found it necessary when operating solo:-
Launching = No
Recovery - Getting Proteus onto the launching trolley has generally been straightforward.  Keeping it aligned in place while still floating - I've tended to flick a line over the bow and down to the trolley handle.
BTW - We've got guide-rails but never used them.  Some people do like them.  Maybe handy in a side-wind/current?
Dragging the trolley + boat up some steeper slipways has been a challenge, but only because of the weight, not the boat's security. (Assuming the above-mentioned line is secure)

Maybe I'll add an eye only for security while towing on-road.   It would also eliminate rope-chafe on the gunwale alongside the stem.
PW

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
https://forum.mymorbic.uk/Eye-bolt-tp135p137.html
To start a new topic under MyMorbic Sail-&-Oar Dinghy UK Network, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from MyMorbic Sail-&-Oar Dinghy UK Network, click here.
NAML
Graham Neil https://port-na-storm.blogspot.com/
Reply | Threaded
|

Marc Lien
In reply to this post by Marc Lien
Thanks for the responses.

I dropped Francois a note and here is what he came back with in case useful for any future builders.

You may use this eyebolt and I do not think it requires more reinforcement. The position has to be, as far as possible, close to the position of the trailer if any, which may be higher than on the picture. The best is to interrupt the keel-band just underneath. You may not have any keel-band over.

The only drawback of this type of eyebolt is the risk to have it damage during launching, for example, if it hits the trailer. I have damage such an eyebolt on one of my own boats. That is why I recommend the simple hole into the false stem on my bigger designs, up to Stir-Ven. See the Ilur arrangement below. Then it is preferable to keep the keel-band in this area as it gives more strength.

Reply | Threaded
|

PaulW
Administrator
The concept of the transverse hole is quite appealing.  I'll put it to the "Proteus committee".

Looking at the boat this afternoon it struck me that I wouldn't want to cut the keel-band for the sake of fitting an eyebolt.

Great to hear you had such quick feedback from Francois!
PW
Reply | Threaded
|

PaulW
Administrator
"Proteus" now has a transverse hole in the false stem.
It is:-
- Slightly above the waterline
- Lined with 15mm copper tube - This is in two parts (Port and Stb).  The outboard ends are flared to match the hand-flared hole in the laminates.
The location of the hole leaves enough laminates, plus the brass band to provide (we trust) sufficient strength for the purpose.
The assembly is lined and bonded with "Morbic-builders' favourite adhesive".
Pics below. - Incidentally giving a glimpse of mast-stowage through our deliberately oversized bowsprit iron; applicable to Sloop/Dual versions only.

Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Taylor
Hi Paul,
Very neat - it looks the part. And I also like the idea of using the bowsprit support as a mast trailing support (if I have got that right?), also neatly leathered.
Peter