6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Covers

PaulW
Administrator
This post was updated on .
To collect discussion about covers into a single place, I'll see if existing related input can be dragged into here.

1)  https://forum.mymorbic.uk/Sails-trailer-and-cover-tp25p27.html

2)  https://forum.mymorbic.uk/Of-Sails-and-Sisters-tp103p194.html
      and 4 more posts under the same topic.

That's probably all, except any below.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Of Sails and Sisters

Marc Lien
Hi Paul,

I’m considering going with the same cover from Banks with the same alterations you outline.
My rig is balanced lug, though, and I don’t have a bowsprit iron.

Do you think the ‘elephant trunk’ setup would still work or should I specify any adjustments? I guess the mast can still rest on the stem head and the cover would stop it rolling off?

Also, how do you secure the aft end of the mast during trailering which I assume is along the centreline rather than resting in the sculling slot?

Many thanks,
Marc
Reply | Threaded
|

PaulW
Administrator
Banks’ Covers – Not cheap though we hope to discover that it was a good investment.  You could possibly get  several shorter-lived ones for a similar total cost, but it is not possible to speculate when/if you’d break even.
David Banks has been very approachable, amenable, and helpful throughout, and he is certainly VERY experienced having been in the family business a great many years.
There are several things it would be advisable to consider and discuss with him before ordering:-
At the bow:-
1) IMHO, mast stowage forward, ie over the trailer drawbar, is preferable to protruding over the stern where it adds un-necessary length, and is vulnerable.
2) Our mast stows top-forward in our home-made bowsprit iron, The latter is upsized above bowsprit diameter to take the narrow end of the mast, including halyard, and is [will be] leather bound.  (See pic.)
3) The elephant’s trunk was included in our order at my request.  It is not detachable, but if travelling without the mast (it could happen!), the ET could be folded away.  It has a slit along the lower edge and is closed by three ribbon-ties.  (See pic.)
4) Jib-less Morbics will not have a bowsprit, but the mast could be lashed to the stem (if that extends above gunwale level) or perhaps to the centreline bow cleat if present.  
It seems instinctively unwise to rely on an “elephant’s trunk” to secure the forward end of the mast.  Dont risk it?
Being slightly off centre is probably no operational disadvantage, but David will need to know otherwise the “ET” won’t be in the right place!
Other bow issues.
5) We currently lash around the stem and down to the trailer handles.  David accommodated this with a slit in the front of the cover, closed by a pair of flaps and two buckles.
Additionally there is a drawstring right around the perimeter of the cover with ties at bow and stern.
(I’m proposing to drill a tube-lined hole in the stem so we can improve on the above lashing.)
At the stern:–
6) You could rest the mast-step in the sculling notch.  We chose not to because it would be off-centre (asymmetric sections of cover), and lower (less effective rain runoff).
7) We created a “transom panel” (which might also become a support for the light/number-plate-board).  (See pics)
This holds the mast-step central, prevents it drifting aft, and holds it a little higher than if resting in the tiller-cut-out.  Good security, symmetrical cover-panels, and slightly improved rain run-off.
Other factors
8) The cover material seems very good, and the workmanship is excellent.  The spec’ says “keeps your boat dry”.  Highly commendable!  But we had a few teething troubles, probably due to being the first cover made specifically for Morbic 12.  – Initially the side and ridge seams leaked wherever puddles formed.  David has now sealed these.  He also added; (i) extra belly straps including one forward from the stern to the aft-most transverse strap; (ii) an extra ribbon on the “ET”;  (iii) an extra slit and buckle at the stern.  We have not yet given these mods a proper rain test.
9) David says the cover should be “drum tight”.  Scary?  Our gunwale is free of upstanding fittings so is pretty smooth – Nothing much to cause chafe.
I’ll probably think of more, but enough to be going on with.
Please tell David we recommended him.
PW

Mast in Enlarged Bowsprit Iron.  And current lashing.

The "Elephant's Trunk"

Transom Panel (3 pics)

Reply | Threaded
|

Marc Lien
Wow, what a brilliantly helpful post. Thank you Paul. Really appreciate your help and support for us earlier in the journey.
Reply | Threaded
|

Portnastorm
Hi all,
An update on my cover.

I made a couple of mast supports for trailering.
The one on the transom has a hole for the upper pintle to stop it moving around. It is lined with carpet to protect the paintwork. The forward support sits in the mast partner and is just high enough to let the mast clear the stem.

So I ordered the cover from Trident UK   Made to measure covers.

I included a few photographs of the boat and additional measurements as well as their measurement form so that they weren't working totally blind. They are very helpful and phoned me to ask for additional measurements for the transom.

Overall I'm very pleased with the result, they gave me exactly what I asked for.

It fits pretty well. I asked for a big overlap at the bow and there is probably a bit too much cloth there. On previous covers I've had made there was a bit of a gap around the stem and I may have over compensated. It would look better if I could pull the ties further forward but it works fine.

I wanted the option of having the mast protruding at either end of the boat so that I can use my bike carrier with the trailer hooked up.

For that reason I opted for a mast sock rather than the sewn in trunk, and I also need a hole at the transom to let the mast through.

In retrospect I should have asked for a second mast sock, sorry about the placcy bag. I would also ask for a coupe of extra straps to help keep it really tight.  
The lighting board is held in place by a hole drilled for the pintle with a shock cord underneath and a couple of shock cord loops which run back to the rear strap.  

I use a ratchet strap across the gunwales, protected by carpet,  to hold the boat on the trailer.  Don't be tempted to overtighten this as it'll warp your boat.  Just tight is tight enough.  I prefer not to put it over the mast as this might cause a stress point and rather rely on the cover to hold the mast in place. As mentioned previously a turn around the stem head might be a good idea.
I also lash the bow to the snubber with some downward pull to prevent the boat pitching.

Right  think that's about it, I hope some of this helps.

And just a reminder of what its all about here is a picture of Sistership heading home on the evening tide, Chichester Harbour Friday last.

Graham Neil https://port-na-storm.blogspot.com/
Reply | Threaded
|

Marc Lien
Thanks Graham and Paul for the details. I really appreciate you taking the time to share pictures and descriptions. I’m off to make a mast support to slot in the mast partner.

Graham, what an idyllic picture - I wish you many happy sails.

Best,
Marc