Beaching Morbic 12

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Beaching Morbic 12

Alison
I would welcome any comments on the manoeuvrability of a Morbic 12 in the absence of a trailer or launching trolley including the possibility of hauling a Morbic 12 from the water onto a beach.
I am seriously considering a Morbic 12 build but wondering whether, at 100 + Kg, it would be too heavy for our purposes. (We are a couple; average strength).
Also, if anyone has any reflections regarding what a potential Morbic builder / owner should be aware of before committing they would be very much appreciated too.
Thank you
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Beaching Morbic 12

PaulW
Administrator
Hi Alison
Exchanging emails with you we’ve hit a few topics but they’re included here for the benefit of other forum members.
OTHER MORBIC-LOVERS, please input your own experience.

Beaching – No problem; just avoid rocks and sharp objects.  Click on any of these pics.
Five Morbics, Clywedog, August 2021 . Proteus Morbihan 2023 . Proteus, Pembs, June 2012 . Proteus, Newport Pembs June 2021 .
Morbics beached in a range of situations.

Hauling up for overnight camping – You’re aware Morbic is not light - that is one of its benefits.  Even so, 2 people can just lift one with full rig and some kit – I currently (post-surgery) lift one end briefly.  Rolling onto sausage-fenders could be a way to get up a beach when away from home.  
ANY MORBIC_LOVERS TRIED IT?

Hull protection –
Left - Extra rubbing strakes (wood) have been added to this Morbic. (Courtesy "Port-Na-Storm")
Right - Extra brass rubbing strips either side of the CB case, ("Proteus").
Sacrificial(?) wood rubbing strake added to hull . Extra Keel-Bands either side of CB slot
Two-Pack poly is tough enough to survive moderate knocks.

Camping – Are two people (and dog) going to sleep aboard?  Could you leave Morbic afloat and pitch tent ashore?  (I’ve started on a boom tent for solo camping.)

Launching trolleys and Combination trailers -  More pics to click!

Combination Trolley/Trailer . Three Morbics on Launching Trolleys
A member may know of a trolley &/or trailer for sale – otherwise try Admiral; several Morbic owners have and recommend them.  Not the cheapest but very well engineered and with better suspension than average.

You’ve sailed Mirror and Drascombe Dabber.  In a “race” I sometimes beat a plastic Mirror!  At least one of our members races his Morbic.
JOHN S – YOUR CUE!

Building from kit.  Morbic is a great boat for beginner-builders and experts.  Alec Jordan is the obvious source of your kit.  Some people have friends with CNC cutters, and others have cut their own – Rather them than me!
You may need to source your hardwood and spars elsewhere – We did.
You’re also looking at Stornaway 12 – I have no knowledge of it.  You suspect Morbic is the superior boat, and you want “Gentle, relaxing, easy cruising”.  We find Morbic fits that spec perfectly - Been known to spend 10 hours aboard.

Your self-introduction triggered a few questions which are answered there > Click <.

There is an impressive wealth of Morbic experience amongst the members, so please ask anything you like - but maybe first try the searchers on the forum, and the UK Morbic website.
Reply | Threaded
|

Nigel McC
In reply to this post by Alison
Hi
I bought the CNC files from Monsieur Vivier, which worked really well. The building jig and the planks fitted together just like Lego. It took about 250 hours all up.
 I think I'm fortunate in that I have a friend who has a CNC cutting machine otherwise you have to find a company who will cut the panels for you, and this can be quite expensive. However it's worth costing out and comparing with the kit price.
Reply | Threaded
|

Alison
Hi Nigel
Thanks very much for this. I had not considered the option of independent CNC’ing of the wood.
Presumably, Monsieur Vivier’s files also specify the required characteristics of the wood?