Anchors

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Anchors

Peter Taylor
I've been looking at my anchor for 'Aura' and thinking I need to improve upon the paltry 0.75 kg grapnel that I have (hardly an anchor at all). What do other members have and how do they store them in the boat ready for use? Also thoughts on warp and chain length also welcomed. Many thanks, Peter.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Anchors

PaulW
Administrator
We have a "Ruberised Danforth Anchor", currently available from H2O Kyaks and others at £28+.
It is 1.5kg. Comes with caribina/clip, 7m of line, small marker float, stowage bag for the line.
It often sits in the stern-sheets (aft stowage) clipped to the limber-hole.  Handy to grab and toss over the stern before running up onto a beach.
In use I've sensed that a length of chain should go on the wish-list.
You could trawl the forums (fora?) for advice or simply see the useful guidance on Yachting Monthly.

Have a look at it when we meet at OGA Dart Regatta (unless you've alreaady gone ahead).
PW
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Anchors

Peter Taylor
Thanks for your response Paul. I like the idea of a rubberised anchor to protect floor of the boat. I do have 15m warp and 2m chain with my feeble 0.75 kg anchor, but the dinghy cruising association folk reckon on 30m plus a 5kg anchor for craft under 16ft I think, which was what got me thinking I should upgrade! Do you find your 1.5kg is enough for the job or do you find you wished you had more holding power?
Peter